9799692b348 Nivedhanam: Bread Upuma

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Bread Upuma

Breakfast is very important meal and for me I love it to be a savory one vs. a sweet one.. I can enjoy Bread and jam, but would prefer other recipes with breads that are savory.. This bread upuma is a quick and easy breakfast or tiffin item. It is pieces of bread mixed with masala and spices and tastes delicious..The recipe will serve 2. The total time taken for this recipe is under 15 minutes. For this Vegan Thursday, I chose this very versatile bread upuma.
Bread Upuma - IMG_1525
Ingredients
Bread slices – 5
Salt – ¾ tea spoon
Turmeric – ½ tea spoon
Garam Masala – ½ tea spoon
Cumin Seeds – ¼ tea spoon
Mustard Seeds – ½ tea spoon
Oil – 3 table spoons
Red Chili - 1
Onion (diced small) – ½ cup
Green Chili – 1
Curry Leaves – 4
Kadalai Parupu / Channa Dal – 1 table spoon
Ulutham Parupu Urad Dal – 1 table spoon
Asafetida – ¼ tea spoon
Coriander Leaves – 1 table spoon
MethodCut the corners of the bread and discard. Cube the bread and keep aside
Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and once it crackles, add cumin seeds
Add kadalai parupu and sauté for 10 seconds, now add ulutham parupu
Add red chili and once the lentils change color, add green chili and onions and curry leaves
Add ½ tea spoon salt and cook until the onions are tender
Add turmeric, garam masala and asafetida
Once the onions are tender, add the bread pieces and cook on very low heat
Mix thoroughly until all the spices are well mixed and coated on the bread
Add ¼ tea spoon more salt and remove from heat and garnish with coriander leaves!!
Serve hot as is or with chutney or ketchup.

Sending this to my own Guest host event VFAM – onions, Priyas Page,

13 comments :

  1. You know what Soumya, I make this every now n then!!! But my problem is always an excess amount of salt in it :P And I never can enjoy the dish :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too make this bread upma. I also add chopped tomatoes and g.peas and diced carrots to make it more nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely and easy recipe for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would choose to eat this over cereal and bread and jam anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy and best for the season

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favourite,love to start my day with this delicious upma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely... One of my favorite too... Just posted my recipe last week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this my ever favorite quick make breakfast :) looks super delicious dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make bread upma but with only spices and salt. Your recipe is interesting and from now onwards I will add onion and peanuts. Sunday breakfast is all planned out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks colorful & delicious.. A filling & healthy breakfast !

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,
Thank you for reading my blog post. Your comments and feedback is very valuable and I appreciate it very much. Please leave your valuable comments and feedback for this post. Thanks Sowmya

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...